About This Program
A Voyage of Discovery: Using Puppets to Explore World Folktales
Students recreate folktales from cultures around the world using simply-made puppets and scenery to visually tell a story with a beginning, middle, and end. A Voyage of Discovery: Using Puppets to Explore World Folktales stresses risk-taking, empathy and communication skills.
Typically, residencies range from $2,000 to $3,000, but we can use your available budget and ‘work backwards’ to create a cost-effective residency for your school. We may be able to assist you in securing grant and funding opportunities.
Sample Common Core connections
RL.3.2 Recount stories, including fables, folktales, and myths from diverse cultures: determine the central message, lesson, or moral and explain how it is conveyed through key details in the text
SL.5.1 Engage effectively in a range of collaborative discussions, building on others’ ideas and expressing their own clearly
Residencies are tailored to your needs but usually include:
- A kick-off assembly
- A required orientation meeting and planning session
- A set of workshops for classes of up to 25 students each
- A student culminating or sharing event
- An evaluation meeting
For a rough estimate, residency prices include:
- Artist assembly (see artist’s page for pricing)
- A set of workshops ($100 each)
- A required orientation meeting and planning session ($100 each)
- An evaluation meeting ($100)
- Mileage and supply costs depend on artist location and the residency chosen.
"What impressed us the most was Carolyn’s ability to bring out the creativity in our students."
"She had a strong voice and a good understanding of the audience needs…kept the children's attention!"
"Inspired the students to problem-solve and use creativity."