About This Program
During this poetry residency, students will learn about the elements of poetry and the written word, including rhyme, imagery, symbolism, diction, and personification. Femi the Drifish works with students to identify the similarities and differences between poetry, Hip Hop, and spoken word–or slam–poetry. Students learn by trying their hand at writing their own original poetry.
Typically, residencies range from $2,000 to $3,000, but we can use your available budget and ‘work backwards’ to create a cost-effective residency for your school. We may be able to assist you in securing grant and funding opportunities.
Residencies are tailored to your needs but usually include:
• A kick-off assembly
• A required orientation meeting and planning session
• A set of workshops for classes of up to 25 students each
• A student culminating or sharing event
• An evaluation meeting
For a rough estimate, residency prices include:
• Artist assembly (see artist’s page for pricing)
• A set of workshops ($100 each)
• A required orientation meeting and planning session ($100 each)
• An evaluation meeting ($100)
• Mileage and supply costs depend on artist location and the residency chosen.