About This Program
Rock the Mic
Bomani’s residency walks students through the exciting world of hip-hop songwriting while writing verses about subjects they study in class. In Rock the Mic, students receive in-depth instruction on elements of creative writing, using simile, metaphor and rhyme to structure a song written in the pattern of a well-written essay.
Typically, residencies range from $2,000 to $3,000, but we can use your available budget and ‘work backwards’ to create a cost-effective residency for your school. We may be able to assist you in securing grant and funding opportunities.
Residencies are tailored to your needs but usually include:
• A kick-off assembly
• A required orientation meeting and planning session
• A set of workshops for classes of up to 25 students each
• A student culminating or sharing event
• An evaluation meeting
For a rough estimate, residency prices include:
• Artist assembly (see artist’s page for pricing)
• A set of workshops ($100 each)
• A required orientation meeting and planning session ($100 each)
• An evaluation meeting ($100)
• Mileage and supply costs depend on artist location and the residency chosen.
"Bomani was OUTSTANDING, today! The kids loved him, the second graders all lined up to take his autograph!"
"Positive, Motivating, Challenging. Bomani gave students the power of language."