About This Program
Re-imagining Algebra through Storytelling
You can feel a good story in your core- the sadness, the suspense, the bitterness, and the beauty. We are good at registering and reacting to all of the characters, events, and plot twists a story throws at us, but have you ever tried to look at one through the eyes of a mathematician? What would a story look like without words, without pictures, its content plotted on a graph? In the innovative residency Re-imagining Algebra through Storytelling, students learn how the characteristics of functions relate to a story plot structure and how transforming a function relates to telling different versions of a story.
Residencies are tailored to your needs but usually include:
- A kick-off assembly
- A required orientation meeting and planning session
- A set of workshops for classes of up to 25 students each
- A student culminating or sharing event
- An evaluation meeting
Typically, residencies range from $2,000 to $3,000, but we can use your available budget and ‘work backwards’ to create a cost-effective residency for your school. We may be able to assist you in securing grant and funding opportunities.
For a rough estimate, residency prices include:
- Artist assembly (see artist’s page for pricing)
- A set of workshops ($100 each)
- A required orientation meeting and planning session ($100 each)
- An evaluation meeting ($100)
- Mileage and supply costs depend on artist location and the residency chosen.
"I've heard from a lot of staff who thoroughly enjoyed your Programs. The kids want you to come back as well!"
Mrs. Eunid Van Such, Principal, Folcroft Elementary School
"The breadth and depth and CHOICE of your stories has elevated my thinking and reflections on stories and storytelling."
Dr. Caroliese Frink Reed, Educator and Scholar in African American History