About This Program
Literacy through Dance: Exploring Metaphors through Flamenco
This Flamenco dance residency reinforces the concept of metaphors through dance, rhythm, and song. Flamenco song is poetic and is a natural lens for exploring metaphors! Students will learn how to decipher the metaphorical meaning of a Flamenco song and how rhythm and tempo support its meaning. This residency can be taught in English or Spanish and can be a supportive tool for curriculum in classes that explore history, creative writing, social studies, and/or the Spanish language. By the end of the program students will be both singing and dancing!
Typically, residencies range from $2,000 to $3,000, but we can use your available budget and ‘work backwards’ to create a cost-effective residency for your school. We may be able to assist you in securing grant and funding opportunities.
Residencies are tailored to your needs but usually include:
- A kick-off assembly
- A required orientation meeting and planning session
- A set of workshops for classes of up to 25 students each
- A student culminating or sharing event
- An evaluation meeting
For a rough estimate, residency prices include:
- Artist assembly (see artist’s page for pricing)
- A set of workshops ($100 each)
- A required orientation meeting and planning session ($100 each)
- An evaluation meeting ($100)
- Mileage and supply costs depend on artist location and the residency chosen.
The students really felt proud to be learning something from another culture and looked forward to Ms. Menendez coming every day. They were excited about how talented she was. She had a very good relationship with the students. I would use this artist again.