About This Program
Explaining Science with a Story
In ancient times, people explained a scientific phenomenon with a story. Explaining Science with a Story offers students the opportunity to act out a variety of scientific concepts they are presently studying through a series of creative drama and writing exercises. With Arianna’s guidance, students create a theatrical visual connection to the curriculum. Students use the “Mantle of the Expert” technique to pretend that they are international scientists trying to solve a specific problem by creating a hypothesis and theory.
Typically, residencies range from $2,000 to $3,000, but we can use your available budget and ‘work backwards’ to create a cost-effective residency for your school. We may be able to assist you in securing grant and funding opportunities.
Residencies are tailored to your needs but usually include:
- A kick-off assembly
- A required orientation meeting and planning session
- A set of workshops for classes of up to 25 students each
- A student culminating or sharing event
- An evaluation meeting
For a rough estimate, residency prices include:
- Artist assembly (see artist’s page for pricing)
- A set of workshops ($100 each)
- A required orientation meeting and planning session ($100 each)
- An evaluation meeting ($100)
- Mileage and supply costs depend on artist location and the residency chosen.
"Watching the children put all their energy into a drama was so perfect! They were able to truly show their emotions."
"Arianna brings the perfect amount of scholarship, art, and fun that inspires all students to achieve great things. They are so proud of their final products, and they should be!"
"Arianna’s use of humor, art, music, movement, and literature involved all of our students. The variety ways that students participated in the storytelling engaged their imaginations and strengthened their listening skills."