About This Program
Capoeira Angola: The Dance-Fight Game from Africa and Brazil
Capoeira Angola is an African-Brazilian folk art that combines martial arts, dance, play, music, and performance into a unique experience. In the Capoeira Angola residency, students learn to use the movements of their bodies to create, communicate, and collaborate. Students also learn to play and sing the music of Capoeira to express themselves in empowering ways.
Typically, residencies range from $2,000 to $3,000, but we can use your available budget and ‘work backwards’ to create a cost-effective residency for your school. We may be able to assist you in securing grant and funding opportunities.
Residencies are tailored to your needs but usually include:
- Kick-off assembly
- A required orientation meeting and planning session
- A set of workshops for classes of up to 25 students each
- A student culminating or sharing event
- An evaluation meeting
For a rough estimate, residency prices include:
- Artist assembly (see artist’s page for pricing)
- A set of workshops ($100 each)
- A required orientation meeting and planning session ($100 each)
- An evaluation meeting ($100)
- Mileage and supply costs depend on artist location and the residency chosen.
"Skher was very engaging and you kept us smiling and laughing. It was fun!"
"I loved it! I’ve now taking a liking to this because of Baba Skher. It actually makes me want to learn it."
"I liked the performance and I like how the instruments were played with simple rhythms."