About This Program
You Can Write a Blues Song!
Exploring History, writing songs and performing authentic American blues Curtis uses instruments from the of 1920s and 30s to make American History, Language Arts, and the fundamentals of music come alive. Students write and sing their own songs in the blues form, and enter the world of the founders of modern popular music in You Can Write a Blues Song!
Typically, residencies range from $2,000 to $3,000, but we can use your available budget and ‘work backwards’ to create a cost-effective residency for your school. We may be able to assist you in securing grant and funding opportunities.
Residencies are tailored to your needs but usually include:
• A kick-off assembly
• A required orientation meeting and planning session
• A set of workshops for classes of up to 25 students each
• A student culminating or sharing event
• An evaluation meeting
For a rough estimate, residency prices include:
• Artist assembly (see artist’s page for pricing)
• A set of workshops ($100 each)
• A required orientation meeting and planning session ($100 each)
• An evaluation meeting ($100)
• Mileage and supply costs depend on artist location and the residency chosen.
"Curtis had great rapport, energy, enthusiasm, and a love for his subject."
"What a kind and wonderful person Curtis Blues is! He has so much valuable information for the kids to learn. He kept the children so engaged while learning!"
"Curtis made a history lesson come alive with music!"