About This Program
Students love to create parodies, and the ability to use parody indicates a strong conceptual understanding. The music residency Preposterous Parodies! combines elements of Language Arts with your desired curriculum focus, such as History, Social Studies, or Math. Alden helps students create their own parodies, and through guided practice helps students understand rhyme structure and scheme, demonstrating basic rules of songwriting. Students connect creatively with the curriculum through language arts and music to foster deeper understanding.
Sample Common Core connections
CCSS.ELA-Literacy.CCRA.R.2 Determine central ideas or themes of a text and analyze their development; summarize the key supporting details and ideas.
CCSS.ELA-Literacy.CCRA.R.4 Interpret words and phrases as they are used in a text, including determining technical, connotative, and figurative meanings, and analyze how specific word choices shape meaning or tone.
Typically, residencies range from $2,000 to $3,000, but we can use your available budget and ‘work backwards’ to create a cost-effective residency for your school. We may be able to assist you in securing grant and funding opportunities.
Residencies are tailored to your needs but usually include:
- A kick-off assembly
- A required orientation meeting and planning session
- A set of workshops for classes of up to 25 students each
- A student culminating or sharing event
- An evaluation meeting
For a rough estimate, residency prices include:
- Artist assembly (see artist’s page for pricing)
- A set of workshops ($100 each)
- A required orientation meeting and planning session ($100 each)
- An evaluation meeting ($100)
- Mileage and supply costs depend on artist location and the residency chosen.