About This Program
The Immigrant’s Trunk
In partnership with the Jewish Museum of Maryland, the Immigrant’s Trunk challenges students to explore their own cultural heritage to bring old family stories alive. Beginning with a performance depicting the journey of a Jewish Immigrant, students then interview an “elder” from their community. Students collaborate to bring these stories to life through performance. The Immigrant’s Trunk Residency may conclude with a performance of their work at the Jewish Museum.
Typically, residencies range from $2,000 to $3,000, but we can use your available budget and ‘work backwards’ to create a cost-effective residency for your school. We may be able to assist you in securing grant and funding opportunities.
Residencies are tailored to your needs but usually include:
- A kick-off assembly
- A required orientation meeting and planning session
- A set of workshops for classes of up to 25 students each
- A student culminating or sharing event
- An evaluation meeting
For a rough estimate, residency prices include:
- Artist assembly (see artist’s page for pricing)
- A set of workshops ($100 each)
- A required orientation meeting and planning session ($100 each)
- An evaluation meeting ($100)
- Mileage and supply costs depend on artist location and the residency chosen.
"Katherine and her undeniable talent allowed students and staff of Independence High School to learn, feel, and experience the struggles, hardships, and joys of an immigrant to Baltimore. Students were able to relate to a topic they could not identify with firsthand. For more than an hour they forgot about a world that included iPods, music, and racism. Katherine's performance brought a spirit of knowledge and understanding, a performance that was multicultural, a performance that students continue to talk about and learn from."