About This Program
Handmade Tile and Mosaic Murals
In the visual arts residency, Handmade Tile and Mosaic Murals, students have the opportunity to participate in planning and designing the mural content, creating handmade tile from raw clay, cutting and shaping fired tile, tile layout, and cementing and grouting in this visual arts residency. All projects are custom-designed for your students or school group. All projects require multiple sessions.
Sample Common Core connection
RI.4.7 Interpret information presented visually, orally, or quantitatively (e.g., in charts, graphs, diagrams, time lines, animations, or interactive elements on Web pages) and explain how the information contributes to an understanding of the text in which it appears.
Typically, residencies range from $2,000 to $3,000, but we can use your available budget and ‘work backwards’ to create a cost-effective residency for your school. We may be able to assist you in securing grant and funding opportunities.
Residencies are tailored to your needs but usually include:
- A kick-off assembly
- A required orientation meeting and planning session
- A set of workshops for classes of up to 25 students each
- A student culminating or sharing event
- An evaluation meeting
For a rough estimate, residency prices include:
- Artist assembly (see artist’s page for pricing)
- A set of workshops ($100 each)
- A required orientation meeting and planning session ($100 each)
- An evaluation meeting ($100)
- Mileage and supply costs depend on artist location and the residency chosen.
My name is Jayla, I am 9 years old. I made a bird sculpture, a Northern Cardinal. It was very hard to make. It was the most challenging thing I did all summer. I haven’t worked with this much clay before. My art is normally written on paper. The most challenging thing was trying.
Amanda truly integrates art into academics. This art mural has impacted our students, staff and school community.