About This Program
African Dancing and/or Drumming
Students learn some of the dances and rhythms of traditional and modern East Africa in African Dancing and/or Drumming. Learn how the Amagunju dance evolved as a way to soothe an infant king and how traditional values like respect and gratitude are passed on through song and story. Ssuuna can tailor this drum, song, or dance residency to the needs of the classroom, focusing on only dancing, singing, or drumming, or including some of each discipline.
Typically, residencies range from $2,000 to $3,000, but we can use your available budget and ‘work backwards’ to create a cost-effective residency for your school. We may be able to assist you in securing grant and funding opportunities.
Residencies are tailored to your needs but usually include:
- A kick-off assembly
- A required orientation meeting and planning session
- A set of workshops for classes of up to 25 students each
- A student culminating or sharing event
- An evaluation meeting
For a rough estimate, residency prices include:
- Artist assembly (see artist’s page for pricing)
- A set of workshops ($100 each)
- A required orientation meeting and planning session ($100 each)
- An evaluation meeting ($100)
- Mileage and supply costs depend on artist location and the residency chosen.
"The students had fun, respected Ssuuna, and were challenged by the experience. The whole school community appreciated the programs and seeing students at their best."
"His presentation enriched the lives of our students by teaching them a different language along with dance and music native to his country. He also taught the students about self-respect, discipline, and valuing different perspectives...Even after his program ended, students continued to talk about their time with him and the dances that they learned."
"The kids came back to class and someone said 'That was so cool!' and another student said, 'That wasn't just cool, it was awesome!!'"