About This Program
Adventures in Rhythm
In the Adventures in Rhythm residency, students gain a deeper understanding of playing and notating rhythms and the science of sound. Students experience performing through drumming and singing. In addition to body percussion and call-and-response exercises, each student will learn how to play a bucket with mallets*. Students will learn and express their knowledge of the physics of sound waves, and get creative by altering their “instrument,” with given supplies to change its sound. Students finish the program with a performance, singing and playing buckets and shakers to songs like, “I Feel Good” by James Brown.
*Steve designed and fabricated these mallets to accentuate the high and low pitches of the buckets, and to provide more volume control for the classroom.
Residencies are tailored to your needs but usually include:
- A kick-off assembly
- A required orientation meeting and planning session
- A set of workshops for classes of up to 25 students each
- A student culminating or sharing event
- An evaluation meeting
Typically, residencies range from $2,000 to $3,000, but we can use your available budget and ‘work backwards’ to create a cost-effective residency for your school. We may be able to assist you in securing grant and funding opportunities.
For a rough estimate, residency prices include:
- Artist assembly (see artist’s page for pricing)
- A set of workshops ($100 each)
- A required orientation meeting and planning session ($100 each)
- An evaluation meeting ($100)
- Mileage and supply costs depend on artist location and the residency chosen.
"It was such a wonderful experience to work with such a talented musician who was willing to both grow as a teaching artist and to share his knowledge. My first-graders loved drumming with Steve and learned so much--it is no small feat to manage a classroom of primary students with bucket drums and make it so much fun to learn!"
Candice, Teacher, Kensington Parkwood Elementary